Just because a food is healthy does not mean it will be fried, watered down or drizzled with sauce. Know which foods to avoid to warn you of the dangers of obesity.
Healthy foods that become harmful.
- If nuts are good for you, pecan pie should be too, right? Well, no: a handful of pecans provides 200 calories, compared to 700 for the tart tip.
- Likewise, sweet potato is wonderfully healthy, but add butter and brown sugar to it, and it becomes harmful.
- Breaded and fried, the fish loses its properties, as do the creamed spinach.
- When you go to a restaurant, think “natural”. Ask that you do not put butter on your meat or fish, or sauce on your vegetables.
- And if you really want dessert, go for the pumpkin pie, without whipped cream.
Avoid pastries and junk food.
Eat less baked goods and industrial pastries, junk food and processed foods high in fat and sugar. Foods made from refined flour and high in sugar (including potatoes) cause blood sugar levels to rise and then fall. We then find ourselves even more hungry after eating than before.
- In an investigation, it was discovered that on days when young people ate junk food – cheese burgers, fries and soft drinks – they ingested an average of 187 calories more than on days when they did not eat it, which translates, after a year, into a weight gain of 2.7 kilograms (five pounds).
- As for cookies and other similar low-fat products, it’s best to avoid them, as manufacturers compensate for the lack of fat with sugar.
- Sweet foods, even lean ones, increase the production of insulin, which is then found in excess in the blood. Normally, this hormone acts as an appetite suppressant.
- However, some researchers believe that, in overweight people, the relationship it has with other hormones that influence appetite is altered and that, at high rates, it promotes overeating and fat storage.
Do not consume sugary drinks.
In a Harvard study, researchers found that women whose consumption of carbonated drinks had gone from one or less per week to one or more per day gained an average of five kilograms (11 pounds) in four years .
- Even fruit juice can be harmful if you take too much. Better to stick to fresh fruit.
- Coffee lovers should also beware of the drinks offered in the big chains. Add sugar and whipped cream to a latte, and you’ve just increased your nutritional intake by 250 calories.
- As for whole milk latte, it provides twice as many calories as its equivalent to skim milk.
In short, in order to have a healthy diet, do not transform healthy food into a heat bomb and eat less processed sweet products.